Per Department of Health Care Services MHSUDS Information Notice 18-035 HSC Section 11833(b)(1), individuals providing counseling services in a licensed and/or certified Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) facility in California must register with one of the DHCS approved certifying organizations prior to beginning work providing counseling services (this includes volunteers and interns) in such facilities. Individuals currently providing counseling services at a licensed and/or certified AOD facility that are not registered or certified are in violation, and both the individual and their facility could face sanctions. Once registered with a Department approved certifying organization (CO), individuals have five (5) years (total; time does not start over with each certifying organization) from the date of initial registration with any Department approved CO to become fully certified. Once registered, individuals have five (5) years from the date of initial registration to become fully certified. An extension may be available – but not guaranteed – by submitting a Hardship Extension Application form in time to be evaluated.
The three types of registration are:
Student Registration is open only to individuals currently enrolled in, or who have completed a Community College or any accredited (post-secondary institution) Alcohol and Drug Studies/Addiction Studies program (AOD/ADS) (for a list of approved programs, please refer to https://dev.caade.org/accreditation-of-colleges-career-track-programs/accreditedaodprograms/) and who have NOT yet passed the CATC exam.
Individual Registration is open to those individuals who:
- Did not complete their Alcohol and Drug Studies (AOD/ADS) education at a Community College or any accredited (post-secondary institution) AOD/ADS program and wish to certify with the ACCBC through the Education Equivalency process; or
- Are not attending or have not attended a Community College or any accredited (post- secondary institution) AOD/ADS program and would like to complete their clinical hours towards their initial CATC certification; or
- Are no longer students and wish to be registered to complete their clinical hours for certification.
Intern Registration is open only to those who:
- Have passed the CATC exam
- Completed 315 hours of AOD/ADS college coursework or a Certificate of Completion from a 30 unit or more approved AOD/ADS Program
This situation best describes me:
I have never been registered with a certifying organization and want to register with the ACCBC.
I was formerly registered with the ACCBC and want to reinstate my registration, and I am currently registered with another CO.
I have never been registered with the ACCBC and want to transfer my current registration from another CO.
I was formerly registered with the ACCBC and my registration is currently invalid (or expired with another CO).
Addiction Counselor Certification Board of California
5230 Clark Ave, Suite #1, Lakewood, CA, 90712
Ph: (800) 991-2997 Fax: 562-275-3150. Email: email@example.com Website: www.accbc.org